While your office is generally maintained and organized by your janitorial services, there are some daily tasks that employees must handle for both security reasons and to keep paper clutter from getting out of hand. One of these important tasks is getting rid of superfluous papers and documents that need to be destroyed. Offices often use a paper shredder or paper shredding service to accomplish this task. If your office is in the market for an office shredder, there are several things to take into consideration before making a purchase to ensure you find the right machine for your specific needs.
Mid Size Shredders
- A paper shredder for the office will ultimately handle more work than one you might purchase for home use. In all likelihood it will be used by more than one person, and maybe as often as several times a day, which will require it to have a thermally protected motor that will prevent it from overheating during prolonged use. When searching for the right office paper shredder, be sure to consider its speed, capacity and price to ensure that it does what you need it to do. Most mid size shredders for office use can handle things like paper clips and staples so the need to take documents apart before shredding is eliminated, which can be a great time saver for busy employees. They will also usually include an auto off and reverse functions in the case of paper jams.
- You also want to be sure that your paper shredder looks nice in the office and blends well with the other furniture and equipment. Today’s paper shredders are very sleek and efficient looking, unlike their cousins of the past.
- There are also different types of cuts to consider depending on the level of security required for disposed documents. Some machines perform a simple strip cut which is a standard level of shredding, and others, where more security is required can shred papers in a cross cut fashion. More expensive models can reduce paper to pure confetti.
- If you have a larger office and therefore a larger amount of paper to shred, you may want to consider a high volume or heavy duty shredder. These machines will accept almost thirty sheets at a time and shred quickly and efficiently in a variety of cuts to suit your security needs.
- They are built to be more durable to stand up to longer periods of use. Obviously, they will come with a higher price tag but there is really no way to put a monetary value on the security of your company’s information.
While these two types of machines can handle the main paper shredding requirements for a variety of office needs, other machines offer even more features that your company may or may not require such as cardboard shredding or CDs. It’s always wise to consider your exact needs before investing in any of the available models.
If you liked this article, tell all your friends about it. They’ll thank you for it. If you have a blog or website, you can link to it or even post it to your own site (don’t forget to mention our Commercial Cleaning blog as the original source).